Sunday, July 3, 2016

Nagai Koto Chapter 012

The Long Journey Until I Reunite With You

Today, I Begin

I was... Asakura Ryuuma was helplessly foolish. In the place where the worthless boy died, surely nobody would be sad. However, Velt Jeeha's parents were different. Today, all throughout the country, many a tear were shed at the sad news. The farmers, the commoners, the soldiers, the nobles, and even the king...

Velt, you know, I'll say it now, but I was your father's rival back in the day. Taira, Bonapa and I were always going at each other as kids when Aruna was around. In the end, having naught but a warm heart, she married Bonapa. When you born from the two, I was happy. Those two were truly irreplaceable existences for me. (Melma)

Forna's father, in other words the king of the country, is neither strong nor especially gifted, unlike his daughter. Even though he's royalty, he carries himself just like a commoner. However, he was congenial to everyone, which was exactly what the people loved about him.

Velt. There are no more words I can offer. Bonapa and Aruna were my irreplaceable friends. (The King)

It wasn't just how he appeared, the king was truly sad. If his retainer and child were not here, he would probably be crying right now. It wasn't just the king. General Taira appeared mortified when he heard what had happened. It's saddening, but when I think of how preciously mom and dad were thought of, it also made me proud.

Whoever captures the demon that killed those two will receive a proper reward. Rest assured. I will do all I can within my power to help. (Taira)

If it were Asakura Ryuuma, such words would be utterly unthinkable. But, I am not the same as I was. I am thoughtful and considerate now. Words would not come out. All I could do was nod. And that wasn't all.

Now then, Velt. If you like, would you stay in the castle until things calm down? (The King)
Eh, the castle? (Velt)
Your home's not in any shape for you to live there. Well, ten years old is too young to be made to live alone. Forna would be delighted as well. You could go back and forth to school. (The King)

Not good. I'm about to cry again. To be frank, I was reborn as a commoner with no special talents or ability to use magic, which I thought was unlucky. However, I'm actually blessed. Until I met sensei, I thought I alone was different. But I, Velt Jeeha has people that love him this much.

Velt, you should. It is certainly much better than being alone. (Forna)

Forna grabbed both my hands and nodded. That's right, hearing those words might make me happy more than anything else.
However, I'm not the type to depend on others' kindness. There's no real reason to, and for the normal me, I want to wait until things settle down. At the castle, I may be happy, but I won't be able to relax.

No way. It's suffocating there. (Velt)
Hm, I thought you would say that, being you. However, I cannot allow you to remain alone. As king, as an adult, and as your father's good fried. (The King)

Even though he says that, I was alone most of the time in the other word and there's no reason to worry, but I can't really say that can I.

Ah, in other words, rather than alone... Would it be fine, to have someone watch over me? (Velt)
W, well, if someone were willing to take care of you... (The King)

Someone to watch over me... There's only one person that I can think of.

Sensei. (Velt)
What? (Melma)

Sensei was standing quietly behind us during our exchange, becoming mildly panicked when the conversation suddenly came to a halt. Although he's only going to panic more from here on...

I'll help out at the shop when I've got time... So can I live there? (Velt) 
Ha? (Melma)
I want you to take me in, if possible... (Velt)
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat? (Melma)

See, he panicked. Well, not only is sensei surprised, but everyone else here is. It's a hard sell, becoming an adopted child, as it's normally unthinkable.

Velt, what are you thinking of, troubling that man like that! Did father not tell you to live in the castle!? (Forna)
No, it's  not that troubling. (Velt)
Wait, are you not thinking about the trouble you're causing me? (Melma)
Because I'll help out with the shop. Couldn't you use an extra set of hands now that it's doing well? Aren't I the next person in the country after sensei that knows about ramen? (Velt)

To be sure, I know I'm saying something absurd. There's nobody who'd want a conceited child like me. But, it's also true that I have been relying on sensei for various things.

Asaku... No, Velt. You, do you know what you're saying? You're saying you want me to take in someone else's child? Even though I don't have children, I am married, do you think God would permit it? (Melma)
Yeah, I know. But, whenever something's seriously troubling me I can talk to you, and you help me out don't you? (Velt)

As I said so, Forna furrowed her brows and hit the back of my head.

Stupid Velt! Why, why! Talk to me if you have any problems! Why won't you talk to me? Didn't you two only meet the other day? (Forna)
There are things guys can't talk to girls about. (Velt)
W, what did you say? (Forna)
For example, how to confess to the girl I like, how could I ask you something like that? (Velt)
Ah... Y, you, Velt! You don't need to talk to somebody, if you just tell them you like them, it’s plenty. (Forna)

It wasn't exactly a lie. Somehow, her face became beet red and she had a bashful, happy expression. She came to some misunderstanding, but I didn't say anything untrue.

Sheesh, relying on me now isn't fair you know? He was, I was a teacher in the past you know. (Melma)

Sensei looked skyward, amazed. However, he seemed to have given up at some point.

Listen, there are several conditions. To begin with, no lying to me. Same with secrets. You'll tell me things in detail. We'll have a discussion. If you can't do that, I'll throw you out. (Melma)

I am unbelievably lucky. Even if there are others that were reborn like us, I've got the best circumstances.

After that, do care about the past, but don't be fixated on it. What's important to Velt Jeeha is more important. (Melma)
Yeah, I'll try. (Velt)
Lastly, I will call you Velt from now on. Got it? (Melma)

Probably nobody else understands the meaning of the conversation. Though, that this conversation even happened is my good fortune. Sensei said to not focus on being Asakura Ryuuma from here on, but to live as Velt Jeeha. Also, he won't call me Asakura. He will see me as Velt. Sensei is telling is me to live this way now.

In a sense, the life of Velt Jeeha may have just begun, today.

7 comments:

  1. And thus Velt embarked on the path to become the best ramen master.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ………..γ ̄ヽ………Thanks!…………
    …….r’-‘| O |…~……..Nepu!!……..
    ….….’ーゝ_ノ……~…..…∧__∧..…….
    …………| ,|……~…….(´・ω・`)……..
    ……..,,-/ ̄|、…………O旦と )……..
    …….ヽ__シ……….(__(__つ……..

    ReplyDelete
  3. What!? The title is "Today, I Begin", but what the world is beginning?
    Velt's path to Shokugeki no Soma? (lol)

    At first, I thought he would live in castle and level-up himself or anything like that.

    Thanks for the chapter, ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. na i got a feeling his teacher about to die cause he wont change...

    ReplyDelete
  5. 「Velt, you know, I'll say it now, but I was your father's rival back in the day. Taira, Bonapa and I were always going at each other as kids when Aruna was around. In the end, having naught but a warm heart, she married Bonapa. When you born from the two, I was happy. Those two were truly irreplaceable existences for me.」 (Melma)

    I think this quote belongs to the King, not Melma the teacher and ramen chef.

    ReplyDelete