Friday, March 25, 2016

Nagai Koto Chapter 005

The Long Journey Until I Reunite With You

My Reason to Live

Forna was forced to go back. She wanted to know how bad the circumstances were, but she didn’t want anyone else to hear. It’s fine for her childhood friend and her parents I guess. Tonkotu Ramen quickly closed and the tidying up was completed, so that it could open up another day. Everybody, including the customers and employees, were sent home, and the only two left in the restaurant were me and the manager.
(TN: There was some ambiguity in the last chapter, the restaurant is closed because of the recent incident concerning Bolbardié, it’ll open again one day... maybe.)

Velt Jeeha-kun, ten years old eh. (Manager)
And the old man’s name is Melma Chassi right? (Velt)
Right, even though we’ve exchanged our names, it sounds kind of weird. (Manager → Melma)
It’s a self introduction right? (Velt)

We sat side by side on the counter seats, and started a conversation that the people of this world wouldn’t understand.

I’m Asakura Ryuuma, a second year student from Kyokawa High School. (Velt)

At that moment, the manager stiffened.

NO WAAAAAAAAAAY!!! (Melma)
It’s true, or rather, who are you? (Velt)
Uuugh, Asakura? You were Asakura! I’m Kobayakawa, your teacher! (Melma)

H-Huuuuuuuh!?

Whaat!? You, you were Kobayakawa-sensei!? (Velt)

It was my turn to be surprised.

Yeah I was. Hey, is this for real? I didn’t think I’d meet the class’ biggest problem child again. (Melma)
Well, I never thought that I’d be able to eat ramen ever again, and to think you were the one that made it. (Velt)
However, why have you become so small!? Ten years you said? The last time I saw you was in high school right? (Melma)
I don’t get how I ended up like this either. (Velt)
I see, but how do I explain it. There’s no way to. (Melma)
Yeah, I don’t think so either. (Velt)

Somehow, the manager’s true identity was my class' homeroom teacher. I remember well. He was a spirited and enthusiastic teacher, and never once faltered against the delinquent that I was. Despite that, I remember him always being concerned for me. Ever since I started going back to school, Kobayakawa seemed happy.
(TN: He doesn’t call him Kobayakawa-sensei it seems.)

Hey, Asakura, how far back do you remember? (Melma)

By how far I remember, he means my past life.

Up until the bus fell on the school trip. I remembered everything two years ago. (Velt)
Is that so. Then as I thought, we’ve all died in that incident and if I’m not mistaken been given life in another world, right? (Melma)
Yeah. (Velt)

At that instant both of our memories ceased. Therefore, we were able to confirm that the same phenomenon happened to us.

Hey sensei, when did you remember? (Velt)
When I was around 20 years old. I was a cook at a restaurant in the Rolvan Empire to the east. (Melma)
Right now, how old are you? (Velt)
32. When I was Kobayakawa I was 51 years old. It feels kind of weird. (Melma)
Then, to this day it’s been more than ten years since you’ve last seen me, it must have been lonely. (Velt)

Loneliness. Not in the sense that you’re somewhere far away, but it was a word that only we understood.

By the way, I got married in this world when I was 19. Even now my wife is well mannered, sweet, and wholeheartedly devoted to me. However, ever since my memories returned, I have had some mixed feelings even though I’m happy. (Melma)
I see. Which reminds me, I’m sure sensei was also married in our original world. (Velt)
Yeah, I had a wife and children. I wonder how they’re doing right now, how their lives have been ever since I died, I’m always worried about them. However, I couldn’t open up and talk to anyone about this. This is the first time , ever since I was reborn as the man named Melma. (Melma)

I haven’t yet, perhaps I’m lucky that way. It’s only been two years since I remembered everything. But, this man has been tormented by anxiety for more than ten years.

But, to be able to meet the delinquent such as yourself again, I didn’t think it would be able to save my spirit. (Melma)
I mean, I didn’t think I’d be able to eat Tonkotsu Ramen either. (Velt)
Yeah, ramen, eh. In this world without a trace of Japan, I can make cuisine as a chef. Using the memories of my past life, I’ve been able to reproduce the soup and noodles after ten years. If I had the internet, I’d have even more interesting recipes. (Melma)
The internet! Hahaha, I didn’t think I’d miss hearing such an ordinary word. (Velt)

For the first time in a while I was able to smile from the bottom of my heart. Thinking about it, of all the things that have happened throughout my rebellious age, today might be the happiest day of my life. Well, Kobayakawa...... No, it’s the same for Melma. Even as the day ended, we would never tire of talking to each other. And after however many hours later, when it would be bad to return any later, there was one last thing I had to confirm.

Hey, sensei. Do you think we’re the only ones that ended up like this? (Velt)
...... (Melma)

By that, I meant being able to meet each other again.

It might be that I died instantly. I don’t know anyone else who died. (Melma)
Right, I’m sure that not everyone died in the accident, but I know at least one other person that did. (Velt)
What? (Melma)
Before I died, I was conscious for a short time. Just before I lost consciousness, I saw that person had nothing left. (Velt)

It wasn’t a pleasant conclusion. In reality, it would have been better if that person didn’t die. However, if she died, is it fine to assume that she was also reborn in this world?

Kamino Mina. (Velt)
Kamino Mina you say? ......I see......the child most unlikely to die. (Melma)
Well, if she survived then everything will be fine. More than that, she wouldn’t have crossed over. But if she was in this world like us...... (Velt)

I would want to meet her.
If she carried the same feelings as us, I want to save her from it.
No, that’s wrong, it would just be showing off.
The real reason is much more simple.
I just want to meet her.

You, it’s thanks to Kamino that you started coming back to school isn’t it? (Melma)
Wha—! (Velt)
Well, with the exception of you, everyone else had already figured it out. (Melma)
Wha— S-seriously!? It’s not like I told anyone! (Velt)
Just looking at you made it obvious. But it’s the truth isn’t it? That girl dragged you back to school, and you changed. You even made friends. (Melma)

It wasn’t a lie. Of course, I still kept on getting into fights with bad people. However, I regularly participated in school and class events, and opened myself up to those around me.

Well, she was someone who helped you, right? Therefore......you’d want to meet her......if she was in this world. (Melma)

When I realized it, I saw the one that shouldn’t have ever been there in my mind.

Sensei, I’ve decided. I’m going to travel around the world, and one day, I’ll find Kamino. (Velt)

Why was I reborn?
What was I supposed to do in this world?
I’ve finally discovered the answer.

7 comments:

  1. ☆   ∧_∧
        (´・ω・`)
        /つ¶つ¶  Thanks!!
    (( (( / ̄ ̄ ̄\  Nepu!!
      |)  ○ ○ ○  (|
     /″   ν.  \
    /________\
     ̄ \_\__/_/

    ReplyDelete
  2. makes you feel really bad for the princess girl

    thanks for the chapter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What if the princess girl is the dead girl but without the memories yet. Its possible right? The teacher just established reincarnation happens at different times

      Delete
    2. mind blown. but if this is a harem series, who knows

      Delete
    3. Well, the princess's personality is quite similar to the dead girl(kamino) so it wouldn't be surprising if she is that girl. Although it would be more interesting if she was the daughter of the currently rampaging demon lord :P

      Delete
  3. sniff...sniff...ninja!!and you onion why..you're soo evil

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the chapter /o/o/o/o/

    ReplyDelete